2017 Cross Country is here!
Talley Road Day Camp!
Saturday, August 12
9:00 a.m. Meet at Ranger Station side lot – load bus
9:30-11:30 a.m. Long run @ Fish Hatchery [up 475B]
12:00 pm Brunch at the Latter Ranch (1720 Talley Road, Penrose, NC)
1:00 pm Team goal sessions
1:30 pm The Amazing Race – team building exercise
2:15 pm Intro to circuits/strength training
2:45 pm Load bus for swimming (DuPont)
5:00 pm Individual goal sessions
6:00 pm Chef Jackie’s amazing dinner
7:00 pm Bonfire (or movie – weather dependent)
8:30 pm Ice cream!
**Please bring $20 payment, 2 changes of clothing, a swimsuit and towel, and both running shoes and comfortable sandals/flipflops, etc.** All food and drink will be provided.
Please use the navigation tabs to find the Talley Road Camp info and 2017 race schedule.
Spring Break Training
- Practice Monday @ 8 AM at Brevard College
- Practice Wednesday @ 9 AM at Brevard College
- Practice Thursday @ 9 AM at Ranger Station
Winter Training for Brevard HS Indoor Track
Week of October 10 now Available
Training for the week of October 3 is now available.
Training for the week of September 26 is now available
Training for the week of September 19 is now available.
Itinerary for Adidas XC Challenge
Note: Please pack $$ for lunch (~$5-$10). All other meals and hotel costs are provided thanks to Booster Club.
Friday, September 16
6:45 a.m. Morning practice
1:32 p.m. Dismiss from BHS, load up bus and depart for Raleigh area
5:30 p.m. Dinner in Winston-Salem area
8:00 p.m. Arrive at Sleep Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport
10:30 p.m. Lights out
Saturday, September 17
7:00 a.m. Wake-up call, then eat light breakfast
7:45 a.m. Depart hotel
8:00 a.m. Arrive at WakeMed Soccer Complex 201 Soccer Park Drive, Cary, NC
9:10 a.m. Boys' Championship 5K
9:35 a.m. Girls' Championship 5K
10:30 a.m. Depart after awards
4:00-5:00 p.m. Return to Brevard
Training for the week of September 12 is below. Full details on trip to Raleigh will be available tomorrow. Please note we will run to Brevard College on Monday, be in the forest on Tuesday, and hopefully driving to Glen Cannon on Wednesday.
Training for the week of September 5 is now available.
Training for the week of August 22 is below.
Training for the week of August 15 is below.
The website is now fully updated with our season schedule, training plans, TALLEY ROAD CAMP information, and so on. Please use the menu navigation to reach that information. You can also scroll down to view the contents of the entire summer training packet.
Welcome, BHS cross country runners. By now you’ve all likely heard about the successful last year we had. The girls won the 2A state title in the fall, Noah Graham was runner-up (before winning 3 state titles in track), and we’re set to remain an elite program for years to come – as long as we keep doing what made us great in the first place: run. Sometimes we run hard, sometimes we run long, sometimes we run fast. But we always run. That constant is what made the 2015-2016 season so successful, and it’s what we’ll need to do again to continue to be great.
Attached is all the training for this summer. Please bookmark www.runningsyndicate.com/brevard. It’ll have all this info for you in a highly portable manner. It’ll also have updates, schedules, and more information.
This summer practice times will be the following: Tuesday at 7 a.m.; Wednesday at 6 p.m., and Friday at 7 a.m. We will meet at the Ranger Station parking lot unless otherwise noted.
This training program is based on a system of levels that ensures all runners train at the proper intensity. To help you determine which program you should be on this summer, please see below. It may look formulaic at first, but this system has paved the way for State Champions, NCAA champions and even a few potential Olympians. I encourage y’all to meet up on your own on days where we don’t have voluntary practice. To select the correct level, see below:
Level 7 – Very high mileage upperclassman runner seeking State titles. Mileage will climb as high as 70-80 miles per week.
Level 6 -- High mileage upperclassman runner seeking State titles. Mileage will climb as high as 60-70 miles per week.
Level 5 – High mileage upperclassmen and women runner seeking State title. Mileage will climb in the 50s.
Level 4 -- Moderately high mileage runner. Similar workouts as Level 5-7, but shorter recovery days and long runs. Highest mileage category for a sophomore (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
Level 3 – Moderate mileage, appropriate for advanced freshmen or lower mileage sophomores.
Level 2 -- Lower mileage. Assumes an athletic background or an incoming freshman with moderate mileage under their belts.
Level 1 -- Lowest mileage. Assumes no running background whatsoever. Runs may be broken into walk/run segments early on if necessary. Runs progress very slowly.
Philip Latter (540) 922-2951 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jackie Witherspoon (828) 553-2881 email@example.com
[End Summer Training info]
here. Schedule is below. Remember: Monday @ 2:45 p.m.; Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday @ 10 a.m. All at Brevard College. No practice Thursday.
WITH WINTER WEATHER POTENTIALLY COMING, YOU'LL FIND TRAINING FOR DISTANCE RUNNERS AND SPRINTERS BELOW, PLUS THE ITINERARY FOR THE INDOOR STATE MEET.
Meet itinerary for Indoor State Meet is below
Itinerary for 1A/2A Indoor State Meet
Friday, February 12
1:50 p.m. Dismissed from class
2:00 p.m. Short practice from school
2:40 p.m. Depart HS for Winston-Salem
6:00 p.m. Stop for dinner at Carmine’s Italian Restaurant 420-M Jonestown Rd, Winston-Salem
8:00 p.m. Arrive at Microtel Hotel by Wyndham Winston-Salem, 100 Capital Lodging Ct, W-S
9:00 p.m. Pre-meet meeting in Coach Latter’s room
10:00 p.m. Lights out
Saturday, February 13
6:45 a.m. Wake-up for 4x800 relay – go eat breakfast
7:15 a.m. Wake-up for rest – go eat breakfast
7:45 a.m. Depart for JDL Fast Track
7:55 a.m. Arrive at JDL Fast Track (2505 Empire Drive, W-S)
8:25 a.m. 4x800 begins warm-up
9:00 a.m. Races begin
2:00??? Meet ends
One last meal en route to Brevard
Room 1: Coach Latter
Room 2: Eliza, Ava, Julia
Room 3: Alyssa, Lillie, Anna
Room 4: Noah, Andrew
Bring money with you. I will find a way to cover dinner and lunch, but all snacks, meet items, etc., must be purchased with your own money [breakfast is provided at hotel].
Week of January 25 -- Full Training (Distance kids, then sprinters)
Week of January 25 -- Post-Snowpocolyptic Training
Since I have not heard back from Polk County yet about when the WNC Polar Bear Championships will actually take place, I cannot make a definitive plan for the entire week. My guess is the meet will move to Friday...we'll see.
For Monday 1/25:
Distance Runners (get in appropriate warm-up and cool-down, please)
Level Andrew: 10 miles total. 35-minute fartlek alternating 4 mins @ tempo effort/2 min @ easy-medium.
Level 5: 8 miles total. 35-minute fartlek alternating 4 mins @ tempo effort/2 min @ easy-medium.
Level 4: 7 miles total. 30-minute fartlek alternating 4 mins @ tempo effort/2 min @ easy-medium.
Level 2: 6 miles total. 25-minute fartlek alternating 3 mins @ tempo effort/2 min @ easy-medium.
5-min warm-up jog, drills, strides (if safe)
If footing is clear: 10 x 30 secs. fast @ 80-90% effort (walk back rest). Try to hit same mark each time. Doing this on a clear hill would be ideal.
If footing is poor: 25-minute run, with surges of 10-30 secs at a time when footing is clear, jog on slush (walk ice).
Week of January 18 (no school first two days)
Winter Training, Part 2: Week of December 28th
- Practice will be Monday @ 7:45 a.m. (Ranger Station, then Fish Hatchery); Tuesday @ 3:30 p.m. (Lowe's); and Thursday @ 10 a.m. (Ranger Station).
Winter Training is below for this coming week. Thanks for your patience!
END OF SEASON EXTRAVAGANZA IS THIS SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 22, AT 3 P.M. AT THE HOUSMAN HOUSE. Dinner, fire pit s'mores, a baked potato bar, and more. Get excited!
Address is: 578 Sylvan Byway
Up Williamson Creek Rd....Rt on Cherrywood ( like you went to Dominique’s house)...past their house about 3/4 mile and turn right on to Sylvan Byway (There is a Sylvan Habitat sign there). We are the third mailbox on the right after you turn on to Sylvan Byway. First mailbox is directly on your right when you turn in. (Up the hill/crest/bend right and our mailbox is on the right)
See y'all there!
Week of November 2, i.e. STATE WEEK
- Itinerary for State Meet is below weekly calendar and includes info for hotels, state course and restaurants
Itinerary for the 2015 NCHSAA Cross Country Championships
Friday, November 6
11:05 a.m. Dismiss from class
11:20 a.m. Depart from BHS in running clothes (bring lunch with you to eat on bus!)
2:30 p.m. Arrive at Ivey Redmon Sports Complex to tour course
3:30 p.m. Depart Ivey Redmon Sports Complex for Quality Inn and Suites Hanes Mall
4:00 p.m. Arrive at hotel
4:45 p.m. Depart for Carrabba’s Italian Grill
6:30 p.m. Head to Hanes Mall
8:30 p.m. Return to Quality Inn and Suites
9:00 p.m. Team meeting in Coach Latter’s room
10:00 p.m. In rooms
10:30 p.m. Lights out. Sleep.
Saturday, November 7
7:15 a.m. Wake-up knock on all doors
7:30 a.m. All athletes to breakfast (may go sooner if desired/needed)
8:00 a.m. Depart for Ivey Redmon Sports Complex
9:20 a.m. Noah warm-up
10:00 a.m. 2A Boys State Championship race
10:20 a.m. Girls begin warm-up
11:00 a.m. 2A Girls State Championship race
12:15 p.m. Awards
1:30 p.m. Stop for lunch at Qdoba in Winston-Salem or 2:30 p.m. stop in Hickory at Rancho Viejo
3:00 p.m. Sweet Frog (thank you, Coach Latter!)
5:00 p.m. Return to Brevard High School
State Meet Location: Ivey Redmon Sports Complex 788 Beeson Rd, Kernersville, NC 27284
Hotel: Quality Inn and Suites Hanes Mall. 2008 S Hawthorne Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Dinner: Carrabba’s Italian Grill. 587 S Stratford Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Lunch Option #1: Qdoba Mexican Grill. 945 Hanes Mall Blvd, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Lunch Option #2: 715 Lenoir Rhyne Blvd SE, Hickory, NC 28602
Reward for good race: Sweet Frog 1754 Catawba Valley Blvd SE, Hickory, NC 28602
Week of Oct 26
- Bus for Regionals leaves at 7 a.m. sharp! Boys race at 10 a.m.; girls at 11 a.m. The meet is hosted at Freedom Park in Morganton.
- Team dinner will be Friday, October 30th, at the Latter residence. I will be giving my semi-famous "Flow" lecture to get us all pumped up for Regionals.
- Monday's workout is at 10 a.m. at Brevard College track.
- Practice is OYO (on your own) Tuesday for fall break
Week of Oct 19
- The bus for Conference will be leaving at 1:35 p.m on Tuesday. Students will be dismissed at 1:20 p.m. Boys race at 4:30; Girls at 5. Parking at WCU will be limited, so please consider carpooling.
- Team dinner/post-Conference celebration will be Thursday, October 22 at the Karesh household at 6 p.m. Directions are posted below the schedule.
I am off of Williamson Creek Road in Pisgah Forest. Go to the end of Williamson Creek Road where the road curves and make a right onto Cherrywood Lane (there will be a big development sign for Sweetwater Lane, Cherrywood and Sylvan Habitat on the right.) Stay on Cherrywood. My house is a few minutes down the road at #649. The mailbox will be on the right with a long driveway to the left. It ends in a circular driveway. For everyone's convenience, please back onto the grassy area on your left. You will be happy that you are facing out when it's time to leave... trust me!
Week of Oct 12
- Main bus for United Way Invite in Newton leaves at 10:45 a.m. Students will be dismissed at 10:30 a.m. from class that day. Open/JV race for boys and girls will be at 2 p.m.; Invitational races start at 4 p.m. If you are taking the PSAT Wednesday morning, please let Coach Witherspoon or I know ASAP so we can make transportation arrangements for you.
- Practice on Friday will be in the afternoon
Week of October 5th
- The time trial/XC scrimmage for Thursday, October 8th is still in the planning stages. I will pass info along as soon as I have it. It will be run like a competition, so whether we are at the college, Glen Cannon or somewhere in between, spectators are welcome.
Week of September 28th
- Please see separate tab on the left for Wendy's overnight itinerary.
- Team dinner this week will be at the Witherspoons' home (6 p.m. on Thursday)
Week of September 21st
For Friday: Bus leaves at 2:40! Girls race at 4:00; Boys at 4:50.
Week of SEPTEMBER 14TH
Notes of this week (training schedule is below)
- Wednesday's practice will be run on Cathey's Creek Rd; however, due to limited parking all pickups will be done at the school
- Thursday's team dinner is at the Graham's house (directions to come)
- On Saturday, the bus will depart at 8:15 a.m. for Asheville Christian Academ
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 7TH
Notes for this week (training schedule below)
· Tuesday’s pickup will be in front of gym at BREVARD COLLEGE.
· Friday both coaches will be unavailable, so captains will lead practice after school from campus.
· Saturday's race beings at 10 a.m. Plan on meeting as a team at 9 a.m. downtown to pick up packets. More details to come.
This week's training is listed below. Please also note the following:
- Our first team dinner will be this Thursday, September rd at 6:00 p.m. Address and directions will be provided no later than Tuesday.
- We will have morning practice on Friday @ 6:30 a.m. just like this past week. Please plan and carpool accordingly.
- On Saturday, we will leave for the Eye Opener meet at 6:20 a.m. Meet in front of gym.